Saturday, August 29, 2015

I Blame the Weather

We had our first freeze of the fall season last week. And yes it was only mid-August. We almost made it 90 days without the temp dropping below 32 degrees. It’s why I only use planters for my flowers. This way I can gather them all together in a huddle, cover them with a tarp, and they survive those early fall freezes. Anyway, that’s the theory. Which, would have worked just fine if the goofy human had remembered to take the tarp off them. Two days after the freeze our afternoon temp hit 85 and I decided to water the plants. Stepping onto the deck I was greeted by the tarp baking in the high altitude sun.
            I flipped the tarp off to discover wilted and dying plants. The freeze didn’t get them but human stupidity did. Two survived, and each day I look at them and swear they are cussing at me for being a horrible parent. (Dear God, how did I manage to raise two daughters?)
            I blame the weather. There is no call for being 29 degrees, then 36 hours later soaring to 85.  Whoever is in charge of temperature needs to adjust their attitude, along with the temps. If it’s a low of 29, then use your brain and allow only a 25-degree rise in temps for the day. You’ve got to account for boneheads’ behavior. Seriously, you can’t hold humans responsible for their actions. Where would this world be if we were each held accountable for what we do or don’t do? Why that’s called responsibility. Is that word still even in the dictionary?

            I’m going to spend the winter lobbying for a law that doesn’t allow a daily rise or fall in temperatures of more than 25 degrees. It’s not any dumber than most laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment