Saturday, April 16, 2016

We Survived Vacation!

That may not sound like an accomplishment to you, but to those who diligently plan and still end up with the vacation from hell…YOU know what I mean.

This year I salute the vacay Gods, as this one was damn uneventful. I almost miss the calamities. (I said almost!) Other than the bug that crawled off George’s dinner plate and up his arm, and the golf ball that he chipped and the wind blew it back into his face, we got nothing. And for once a big fat nothing was delightful. No floods, tornadoes, car stuck in mud in the backcountry, elk running us over, stranded in airport for two days in snowstorm, credit card numbers stolen, phones left in hotel, and not even a fall while hiking that drew blood. Now that I think about it, we had a shitty time.

It’s not the ease of the trip that relaxes and rejuvenates me it’s the insanity. We’ve been home four days and every day my anxiety level has risen. My heart races, I’m short of breath, I’m sure something awful is about to happen…what the fuck. I’m swallowing Xanex like a kid swallows M&Ms. I count on the crazy happenings on vacation to clear my slate so when I arrive home I know all will settle down and be right in my world. Even AAA called to ask if we were okay since they hadn’t heard from us in a year. (I promised to take the truck mudding next week so they could come pull me out.)

Most people thrive on calm. I thrive on anxiety and lunacy. If I’m not screwing something up or the world throwing shit balls at me I start to panic. Most of my life has been one shit storm after another. I don’t let it depress me; I simply embrace it and move on. It’s when the shit storms recede and calm ensues that I get bat shit crazy. I have no idea what to do when all is right in my world. 

It makes me wonder what big catastrophe the world is building up to…

Nuclear bomb? Cabelas no longer has post-season sales? Ice Age returns to cover the earth? Giant mice from Mars take over the FBI? World flu pandemic?  Justin Bieber elected President?

You know, it’s not easy being this fucking crazy.



No comments:

Post a Comment