Sunday, July 10, 2016

I've got to stop being sarcastic. FYI: that was sarcasm.

We don’t have summer…we have guest season.
  
The good and bad; yin and yang of living in a beautiful fun-filled resort community is you are a magnet for guests. Luckily for us, we love having company. It is the yin to the long cold yang of winter where no one in their right mind would visit. (For those who love to ski and snow-machine I know you want to disagree…but I say nay, nay…wait till you see how far up a nasty road we live then decide to stay at a nice comfy ski resort accessible by well-plowed roads.)

Every summer we get asked interesting questions, so far this year I’ve had the following conversations:

Guest: I don’t go swimming until it’s 80 degrees outside, so when will that be here in the mountains?

Me:      August 12, between 3:05 and 3:17.

Guest: I mean when today.

Me:      I mean, it’s a high mountain lake…. so never!

Guest: How do you swim then, is it heated?

Me:      Yep, a big yellow-orange ball in the sky heats it.  (I took pity on the puzzled face.) It’s a shallow high altitude lake with 25% more direct sun than at your home so it heats up very nicely.

They didn’t believe me, wouldn’t even test the water, the rest of us piled onto the floaty toys and had a blast in the warm water.



Guest 2: Can they turn up the water on Old Faithful so it’ll spray higher?

Me:      Yes, but then all the water in Yellowstone Lake would drain out.

Guest 2: Very smart of the Park Service to conserve water.

Me:      I need a drink.


Guest 3: Why am I having trouble breathing?

Me:      We’re on top of a 10,000 foot mountain and the air is thinner at this altitude.

Guest 3: People need to stop polluting so this doesn’t happen to the air.

Me:      WTF! Make that drink a double!


Some days I wonder how people actually survive without supervision!

No comments:

Post a Comment